South Australian schools will receive a $67.5 million funding injection following poor NAPLAN results.
The funds will be used to employ more teachers to help improve literacy and numeracy, SA Education Minister Susan Close said in a statement on Wednesday.
The minister said the NAPLAN results would also be analysed and used to direct extra funding to primary schools.
"Getting literacy and numeracy right in the early years is the foundation for students to go on to succeed in the rest of their education," Ms Close said.
SA ranked below the national average in the reading and writing component of the nationwide test.
Opposition education spokesman John Gardner said there had been a continued decline in the state's performance in the standardised tests.
He blamed the government's education restructures and a lack of focus on educational achievement in SA schools.
"It's hardly conceivable, but on a number of measures South Australia's results have gone backwards - even on last year's poor results," Mr Gardner said.
"Our students must have literacy and numeracy skills as the foundation of their success in future years."
© AAP 2017